- Public Health
- Programs for Residents
- Oral Health
- Cavity Free AZ Sealant Program
- Information for Parents
Information for Parents
Parents, give your children a reason to smile, dental sealants are provided free at your child's school!
The school-based Cavity Free AZ Sealant Program is a public health service provided by the Arizona Department of Health Services in partnership with Maricopa County Department of Public Health's Office of Oral Health.
Food and bacteria become trapped in grooves and pits.
Grooves and pits are sealed and protected from food and bacteria.
Importance of School Oral Health Programs
- Tooth Decay is the most common chronic childhood disease
- 5 times more common than asthma
- 7 times more common than hay fever
- 52 million school hours missed annually because of oral problems
- Find out if your child's school is eligible (50% or greater FRL)
- Reduced Cost Community Dental Clinic Referral List (PDF)
- Copy of our Parent Letter (PDF) (sent out as attachment to Consent Form)
- Copy of our Consent Form (PDF) (sent out as attachment to Parent Letter)
Help Keep Your Child's Teeth Healthy!
Select one of the buttons below to access and fill out our Consent Form if you would like your child to participate:
Forma de Consentimiento (Español)
If you have any questions, please contact the program coordinator at 602-506-6946.
- 5,635 children screened
- 3,913 children received sealants
- 13,877 teeth sealed
- 7,066 children screened
- 4,788 children received sealants
- 17,315 teeth sealed
- What are dental sealants?
- Sealants are tooth-colored coatings that fill in the grooves of back teeth. - Most tooth decay in children occurs on these teeth. - Sealants keep out food and germs that cause cavities.
- How are sealants placed on the back teeth?
- Teeth that need sealants are cleaned with a toothbrush. - The sealant is painted on the tooth and quickly hardens. - Placing sealants is painless and takes only a few minutes.
- How does this program work?
- All services are provided at no cost to you at your child's school. - 2nd and 6th grade students with a signed consent form may receive a dental screening. - Children without dental insurance or who have AHCCCS insurance are eligible for sealants. - All information about your child is kept confidential.